The Elfin Knight
No: 2; variant: 2J
- NOW you are a-going to Cape Ann,
Remember me to the self-same man.
Ummatiddle, ummatiddle, ummatallyho, tallyho, follomingkathellomeday
- Tell him to buy me an acre of land
Between the salt-water and the sea-sand.
- Tell him to plough it with a ram’s horn,
Tell him to sow it with one peppercorn.
- Tell him to reap it with a penknife,
And tell him to cart it with two mice.
- Tell him to cart it to yonder new barn
That never was built since Adam was born.
- Tell him to thrash it with a goose quill,
Tell him to fan it with an egg-shell.
- Tell the fool, when he’s done his work,
To come to me, and he shall have his shirt.